Sunday, January 15, 2012

The question of blood before the fall

For time to time there are issues that arise that you avoid or cast a weary eye upon just because of those associated with solving the issue.  Today, I viewed a sermon from a local pastor of my mother's church who decided to share a little known theological fact as he called it.  He stated that Adam and Eve didn't have blood, that the Breath of God flowed through their veins.  He went on to state that not until the fall did blood exist within the body of Adam.  OK, personally I think this is neither here nor there, however let's take a closer look at this statement and what hermeneutic it employs.

                       First, if your going to make this statement, I think your reading into the text and not from the text. And this type of license is dangerous.  The fact that the account in Genesis states "flesh of my flesh, and bone of my bone," does not by any means negate the existence of blood in the body.  I'm just gonna apply some simple redneck theology here.  If bone is mentioned at all and today we see that bone includes marrow or the stuff that makes blood then why would we think that bone in the text doesn't include blood there either. I can't make it or state it simpler.  I don't know why people try to read things into the text.  It runs dangerously close to Gnosticism, like they have some secret knowledge.  And that crowd alone raises up concerns on that persons theology.

                    Second, let's talk about those who seem to be talking a great deal about this issue.  As I did a simple Google search I found two main groups who presented information online in argument for this theory.  It was greatly lopsided.  About ninety percent of the websites which listed discussion or clarification on this issue was the Mormon Church.   The other ten percent belong to some KJV-only website and some other dealing with why Jesus was most likely the third Adam and not the second.

                     Such associations again raise eyebrows at this theory.  Of course according to the Mormon church and the LDS website it is not a theory but a doctrine of the church.  Lastly, would that entail a redesign or a recreation and where is that account?  It is my opinion (that's all I can give), that there is no or little prema facie scriptural evidence for support for this doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment